The air quality within your home can really take a nose dive during the winter. In this blog post, we will examine what causes this drop in air quality, why it affects your daily life, and how you can improve it over the winter season!
1. Why is Indoor Air Quality Important During the Winter?
Indoor air quality is so important during the winter months because the air is trapped inside your home! Windsor-Essex homeowners don’t open their windows as often so circulation does not occur. This problem only extenuates when you are living in a recently built home. Contractors can now build air-tight homes that improve energy efficiency; however, this also keeps all the impurities and dust in the home in the air.
2. How Does this Affect Your Daily Life?
What are you breathing in if your home has poor indoor air quality? VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that can fill the air within your home come from a variety of sources such as paint, flooring, pets, cleaning products, and more. These VOCs can even include toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, benzene, and acetone. Symptoms of prolonged exposure to poor indoor air include:
- Chronic headaches and fatigue.
- Itchy eyes, nose, face, and throat.
- Poor quality of life from those suffering from asthma and allergies.
3. How Can You Improve Your Indoor Air Quality During the Winter?
So now that we’ve gone over why indoor air quality is important and how it can impact your health, let’s go over some actions you can make this winter! Some of these you can do independently and others will require the assistance of a professional. Trust us, once you experience the difference of clean air, you can never go back!
- Reconsider the cleaning products you use and the ingredients that are in them.
- Bring more houseplants into your home to help filter air naturally.
- Keep problem areas for dust and dirt within your home clean.
- Open your windows when possible to let some natural circulation occur.
- Schedule a ductwork inspection and cleaning appointment with Absolute Comfort.
- Schedule a furnace inspection and maintenance appointment with Absolute Comfort.
- Consider other air purifying/cleaning solutions for your home.
- Schedule an in-home consultation with an Absolute Comfort Home Comfort Specialist.
4. Why is Indoor Air Quality Extra Important in Windsor-Essex County?
We all know that the air quality in Windsor-Essex County is not the best compared to the rest of Canada. This is paired with freezing winters and extra humid summers leaving tons of opportunities for stale air filled with VOCs to get trapped in your home. For the sake of your health, comfort, and daily life, make sure the air that you are breathing in for the majority of the day is clean.
We hope this helps all the Windsor-Essex homeowners with taking control of the indoor air quality of their homes! You can take this a step further and have an Absolute Comfort Home Comfort Specialist complete a free in-home consultation for a personalized solution.
About Absolute Comfort Control Services
Absolute Comfort Control Services is a residential and commercial heating and cooling company that has been family-owned and operated since 2006. The Absolute Comfort team takes pride in delivering the correct HVAC solution for your home with no-surprise pricing. The designation of Trane Comfort Specialist, Carrier Expert, and Goodman Dealer ensures that our team has the most up-to-date knowledge in the fields of heating, cooling, and indoor air quality. Schedule a free in-home consultation and experience the Absolute Comfort difference.